TR7 tranny oil seal and wheel hop

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 tranny oil seal and wheel hop
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:32:02 EDT
Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about replace the real oil seal on my
TR7 transmission.  The old seal popped right out, and now problems putting in
the new one.  I also went ahead and replaced the rear motor mount as well,
since the rubber had turned to jelly from the transmission fluid.

Still have this really bad right front wheel hop when I make a right hand
turn (ie, the weight of the car is shifting to the left.). It's a real
jarring hop.  The shocks need to be replaced, but I can't imagine they're
that bad.

Then today I realized that when the hop begins, the stick shift starts
jumping up and down as well.  So, could it be that maybe the front right
motor mount is broken?

I plan to overhaul the suspension this winter, but obviously I don't know
enough about all the dynamics of suspension, so any advice really
appreciated.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC