Re: TR3 Modifications

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Modifications
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:03:05 -0600
1. The engine has 12:1 compression, a road/rally cam, and 88mm pistons
and liners, but it's otherwise stock?? Generally porting and combustion
chamber shaping would be done at the SAME time, as would carb, exhaust,
and ignition timing and advance mods. The high CR, cam, and overbore
won't do that much without the companion mods.

2. 12:1 CR?? Kinda high for a road engine, but whatever. Good luck
finding gas with high enough octane rating though.

3. Headers - yes. Electronic ignition - relatively low priority; only if
your points-type ignition needs work anyway. Oil cooler - no, unless you
plan to race. Porting - of course, especially with a raod/rally cam and
if you have 12:1 CR. Remove fan - duh. SUs or TR6 carbs - work on the
SUS (throttle shafts/bushings, throttle butterfly, needles, damper
springs, jets) and forget about the TR6 carbs; they're emission carbs
and only have to work on an engine with 105 bhp there anyway.

4. Do some suspension work to help you control your new-found power.

Dave Q.