Re: Radio Installation on a TR-6

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radio Installation on a TR-6
From: info@theyeagergroup.com
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:56:35 -0600
Hugh,

As I mentioned I installed a separate wiring harness for the system.  The only
draw back is
that the receiver most be turned off and on separately from the ignition
system.  The harness
is 8-gauge wire to a wiring block under the dash.  All components then are
separately fused.

There was plenty of room for a modern DIN chassis.  I have had about 4 units in
the car.
When you have a car for over 20 years one upgrades the stereo.  The last 2
units were DIN
slide mounts with removable units.  The current one is a Denon in dash CD
receiver.  There
is an interior shot where you can see the receiver on my website.  It is not a
close-up, but it
shows it can be done.

The main challenge is keeping the spirit of the car while getting good sound.
As a musician I
am interested in balanced sound and not drawing attention to myself.  The
stereo in a
vintage automobile should be invisible.  This is what I did.

The space for the radio was carefully measured.  The lower dash fascia was
removed and a
hole for the DIN receiver sleeve was cut according the manufacturers template
using a
Dremel moto-tool, a razor saw, and a file.  The covers on either side of the
heater/radio area
were replaced with units that had no speaker holes.  The side covers provide
quick access
the fuses and most of the wiring.

The amplifier was placed up-side-down on the extended self just forward on
the firewall on
the passenger side.  I also have a fire extinguisher there as well so there may
be room for
some multi-amp configurations.

The speakers are Infinity 6x9 3-way with the ribbon tweeters.  They are
installed in 2 custom
boxes that fit on the floor pan behind the seats.  There are many nice speaker
systems that
are separates that would likely work better than the 6x9 arrangement.  However
the 6x9s
were what was available 15 years ago and the speaker are still fine.

ETY