Nitrous in a TR4?

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[2C246590:01C19ED5]
Subject: Nitrous in a TR4?
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:31:34 -0500 lc>
OK, I have a feeling this is really sily, but I just have to ask it.  Im
really curious

In a bored moment, I was surfinng the Holley site (dont as why), and see that
they have nitrous fog injection kits available for carburated four cylinder
cars.  http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/foggers.html) You
can dial a HP, with the bottom level boosts being 25 or 50hp.  You get about
150 useful seconds of boost from a 10lb bottle at 50hp of boost.  That would
mean you get about 18 0-60 burns until you need a new bottle.  The whole setup
is $700, with about $40/bottle cost, or about $3 per burn run.  Obviously,
sorta high marginal cost, but, for that quantity of HP, pretty inexpensive
setup.  Activation is automatic at wide open throttle, and the system is
turned on/off in  a switch in the dash.

The installation is pretty easy- it supplies its own fuel and its own nitrous
injection- you drill and tap your intake manifold close to the engine block,
thread in the nozzles, run the hoses to the bottle in the trunk, wire the
electronics.  The cool thing is you dont have to worry about your carburation,
etc, as it does its own fuel and nitrous, so when its not on, its the normal
car you know and love.

Upside- lotsa a horsepower for your dollar, not much work, wont show in the
engine bay very obviously, so originality doesnt suffer as much as in a, say,
V8 conversion.

Downside- I have a nagging feeling that all the extra torque would instantly
rip the entier TR4 drivetrain out of the car, while blowing the cylinder head
through the hood.  Also, you nee to run really advanced timing to keep it from
knocking (new disti with weird advance curve required I bet)

Anyone done this?  Anyone heard of anyone who has?  Is this really dumb, or
what?

Please dont flame me too bad for the idea.

Noah

Noah Freeman
Brookside Capital + Bain Capital
111 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, 02199, USA
voice 617.516.2922   fax 617.516.2910
nfreeman@baincap.com or nfreeman@brooksidefund.com

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]