Re: Advice on cylinder head

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Advice on cylinder head
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:24:06 -0600
"Robert M. Lang" wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Hugh Fader wrote:
>
> > Thanks everyone for the well thought out advice. Based on everyone's input,
> > I am going to postpone anything beyond the head work for a couple of years.
> > I am still pondering CR increase and valve seat inserts.
> >
> > One final question: I recall reading that the bronze inserts need some
> > special treatment or else the valves may stick. Any advice on this?

About three years ago there were several Triumph engine failures in racing
engines
because valves froze in valve guides. For some unknown reason, more than one
machine shop made the same mistake at the same time -- they did not ream the
bronze valve guides to the proper clearance. All the theory is good, but this is
what happens if the bronze guides have less than .002 to .003 clearance.

Virtually everybody racing these engines uses these guides. Interestingly to me,
an engine I'm working on at the minute has them -- and the guides are too tight
in
the center, where they are contained by the cast iron, but loose enough on the
ends where they stick out...........
--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue