RE: Advice on cylinder head

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Advice on cylinder head
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 07:53:47 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Randall Young"
>I have seen unreamed bronze guides stick, and Ken G. says the solution is
ream them.  I suppose it could be due to the slightly higher thermal
coefficient of expansion of bronze ... but since the guide id would
normally
get bigger as the bronze expands, the ME problem of what actually happens
when it's in a cast iron hole is beyond my skills.  Anyone else care to
take
a whack at it ?
<

How about this:  As the bronze heats up and expands it is restraned by the
head (or the remnants of the old guide) and is compressed further onto the
valve stem.  If unrestrained the guide ID would indeed get larger but the
guide is restrained, else it would fall out.

Isn't bronze a copper/lead alloy and would embody some of the self
lubricating attributes of the lead?

Dave