Re: prices on ebay

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: prices on ebay
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:12:08 -0600
Greg Hutmacher wrote:

> Sometimes I get a little amused when items on ebay bid up to
> and above what you can buy them for new.

Happens ALL the time - and not just with car parts.

Some folks apparently prefer to do their shopping with a few mouse clicks
rather than a little planning and comparison shopping. They can see a photo
of the item (not true with all catalogs or web sites), they know it won't be
back ordered, and--at least on eBay--they feel secure that they're only
paying a few bucks more than the next highest bidder.

Unfortunately for them, the "next highest bidder" may be even less informed
and lazier than they are. Witness the TR250/6 Competition Manuals, which
regularly sell for $20-$30 (and more) on eBay although they're still in
print and readily available for less than $10.

> Example below:  TR6 Monza exhaust for $227.50 with 9
> hours left to go.  Last time I checked, I could get a new
> Monza exhaust system for about that price or a little less on sale.

And it still hasn't reached the seller's reserve!

Jim Hill
Madison WI