Re: prices on ebay

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: prices on ebay
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:48:57 +0000
In article <14e.88aad8a.29943b2a@aol.com>, Harrymague@aol.com writes
>I too use Ebay to find stuff that is hard to come by and I am always looking
>at he big three and even Rimmers for the current price on an item if you can
>still get it.  The thing that touques me a little are items that are listed,
>for example the stainless steel kits for the engine, that you think are a
>good deal.  Come to find out the guy has a web site where you can by it for
>80 dollars or so less than I paid on ebay.  Not knowing the site existed
>until after the auction close, is honored the auction and paid the price I
>bid.  Those are the kind of things on ebay that p**** me off.

With respect, you shouldn't really complain about that.   It was your
bids that pushed the price up that high, and if you weren't aware that
you could buy the same thing cheaper from a website, well, that's your
fault for not doing your research.

If the item you bought seemed like a good deal at the price you paid,
then where's the beef?

Ebay has a weird effect on what is generally considered to be a "market
price" for all sorts of things.   I've seen dealers sell second-hand
copies of my books on Ebay for significantly more than the cost of new
ones.   One conclusion that we might draw from these experiences is that
both stainless steel engine kits and my books are under-priced!

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"