RE: Ebay one last thing (longish)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ebay one last thing (longish)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:35:34 -0800
> I'd really like to get listers feelings on whether or not they
> think it's a
> good thing to post listings related to a new product on your own site or a
> special deal you have.

Mike :

It's a tough question, and there are always those who would ban any
commercial announcement whatsoever.

Personally, I have no objection to a small amount of unsolicited commercial
announcements, as long as it really is something special like a part or tool
that really has been unavailable for 20 years.  But announcing a "special
sale" that turns out to be just 10% off some stuff you couldn't sell last
year seems a little much to me.  (Not that I'm accusing you personally, just
trying to illustrate where I see the line.)  What's a "small amount" ?
Well, I'd guess there are at least 100 people on here that at least
occasionally sell stuff, and I wouldn't want to read more than maybe one
such announcement per day, so maybe 4 times a year is OK?

The thing I really would like to see is more vendors responding in 'public'
to questions like "I can't find this anywhere".  If you are selling the
elusive Churchill hub puller, let us know !

> On the other hand, I'd rather offer this stuff to fellow listers and VTR
> members through my site and not on ebay where people might feel they are
> getting a raw deal if they find my site later. What's the answer?

There are several solutions I see, one is to announce your stuff on the
autojumble list.  It's not just for Triumphs (not even just for LBC), but it
is the 'approved' list venue.  If enough people would like to target the
Triumph list, perhaps we could ask MJB to start one just for items of
interest to Triumph owners (which would also allow inclusion of people that
are only on the Spitfire, or 6-pack, or whatever list).  But right now the
traffic on autojumble is so low that I don't think there's any immediate
need to create another list.

Another solution that I don't think would irritate anyone is to add a tag
line to your posts with the URL to your website.  Of course now you need
something to post about ...

Another might be to put your info on the VTR free classifieds occasionally.
AFAIK they have no stated policy against commercial announcements, but of
course it would be best to ask first.

Randall