RE: TR3 send unit/fuel gauge trouble shooting (still)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 send unit/fuel gauge trouble shooting (still)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:16:37 -0800
Ed :

I believe the tank sender resistance works the opposite direction between
TR3 and TR4.  Sounds to me like you've got a mixture.  On a TR3 fuel gauge,
if you connect the battery to the 'B' terminal (which is the one behind the
'E' on the face) and ground to the case, but leave the 'T' terminal open,
the gauge should read full.  This is described in the 'Petrol' section of
the factory shop manual (or the Bentley reprint).  On a TR4 gauge (which
doesn't need the ground to the case) it should read empty.  The TR4 gauge
also draws more current through the tank sender, which might possibly
explain why your old sender was bad ...

BTW, I've said before that the early TR4 did not use a voltage stabilizer.
It appears that I am mistaken.  I parted out a 61 TR4 many years ago (mostly
for the A-type OD) and I thought the gauges I took out of it did not require
a stabilizer (nor was there one on the car).  Don't know what happened, but
it now appears that was not the normal setup.

Randall