RE: TR3 send unit/fuel gauge trouble shooting (still)

To: " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 send unit/fuel gauge trouble shooting (still)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:30:32 -0800
> All the positive earth gauges
> and senders are wound in the same way.  Along comes this switch from
> positive earth to negative earth and the Smith's engineers find a
> technical reason to change the polarity of the sending unit when the
> polarity of the car's electrical system is changed.  So for negative
> earth cars they offer a sending unit wired opposite from the positive
> earth sending unit along with a matching wired gauge.

I believe you will find that the TR4, although still positive earth from the
factory, used the later 'backwards' gauge technology.

In any case, although it's true there was a change at some point, it had
nothing to do with earth polarity.  The early gauges will work just fine
with negative earth (my TR3A has been negative ground for some 15 years),
the later ones will work just fine with positive earth.  The later type were
cheaper to build ...

Randall