TR3 send unit/fuel gauge trouble shooting (still)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 send unit/fuel gauge trouble shooting (still)
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 07:04:34 EST
Well ...
I picked up a new sending unit ...but first let me recap. The original send
unit did nothing (no response) for the dash gauge, even though the resistance
did indicate a slight change. This was whether the hook up was in or out of
the vehicle. The dash gauge does register E to F when current is applied ...
connected directly to the battery and of course grounded. So I determined
that the send unit was no good.

Now with the new send unit, still using only the battery, the gauge registers
in reverse, E when it should be F and vice versa. This occurs regardless of
the hook up to the terminals on the dash gauge. The set up is from the
battery to the dash gauge terminal and then out to the send unit, a ground
connected to the send unit. The vehicle is positive ground.

Any suggestions? It's really starting to baffle me since the electrical
theory seems so simple.

Best Regards,
Ed ('58 TR3A)