Re: Vicky Brit steering wheels on sale, deal or junk?

To: <UKsndncars@aol.com>, <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vicky Brit steering wheels on sale, deal or junk?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:54:04 -0600
From: UKsndncars@aol.com <UKsndncars@aol.com>
To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Date: Sunday, February 10, 2002 6:18 PM
Subject: Vicky Brit steering wheels on sale, deal or junk?

>Has anyone tried the Mountney steering wheels that Victoria British has on
>sale until the end of the month? Their price of $149.95 including mounting
>hub seems too good to be true. I can't tell from their description or
>illustrations whether or not the wheels are dished or not. I am looking for
>dished wheel for my TR250, it seems that a flat wheel would be too close to
>the turn signal and light switches. Do these steering wheels fit? How's the
>quality? Are they truly a "bolt-on" replacement with no other items to buy?

I didn't know they were called "Mountney"

I have a fairly-new one of these on the TR4.  I even have the Vicky Brit
receipt here someplace.  Leather rim, polished spokes, proper "book" emblem.
It fits just fine.

I am not the one who put it on (it was in place when I bought the car) so I
don't know what it entailed.  In fact, I have been staring at the horn
button lately, trying to figure out how to get it off so I can remove the
wheel.

Although I have been very happy with the wheel, I am considering taking it
off and refitting the original for two reasons:

1.  This TR4 is a very original-looking car, and the big-diameter banjo
wheel would look more at home.  The rim looks a little rough, so I am
considering red leather to match the red interior.  Not stock, but I bet it
is period.  Can't believe that there were no owners that did this back in
the day.

2.  Sue has some shoulder problems now and again, and these cars don't have
power assist.  The original wheel would give her more leverage.

If there were some insurmountable problem with the original wheel, I could
always take it off again.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org