Re: Ok, A TR6 Question

To: LeRoy Price <lep@epix.net>
Subject: Re: Ok, A TR6 Question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:38:15 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by LeRoy Price
>Been looking over the Net and I've seen some nice TR6s.  I also have a
buyers guide which mentions that the better cars are the pre 1971.  What
would make these better than say a 1972 - 1974?
<

That sounds like somebody's opinion to me.  As the years progressed changes
were made.  Some of these were to meet US safety and emissions standards
and others were definite improvements in creature comfort and drivability.

The big change actually occured in 1973 with the change to the CF series
car.  In the US the compression ratio was dropped by about three quarters
percent but the camshaft timing was made more aggressive.  This resulted in
less torque but an engine that rev'd better and the horsepower rating
remained the same.  This can be seen as an step backwards or not depending
on what you are going to do with the car.  You can, for example, have the
head shaved to restore the older model's compression ratio (or even
increase it beyond that) and you will have a better performing engine than
if you had an earlier model.

The later models had more engine attachments that helped meet emissions
standards but if you sick to the 73-74 models you are facing only the EGR
valve (74 only) and avoiding the secondary air injection system on the
75-76 models which really clutter the engine bay.  The air cleaner on the
later models breathes better and the later models have the dual exhaust
system.  Kas Kastner says the single pipe performs as well as the dual
(because the single pipe is bigger) but the mere cache' of having dual
exhaust may be worth something to you.

The later model seats are better (IMO) but the foam tends to degrade.  If
you are willing to rebuild the seats you will have nicer seats.  The gauges
in the later models are much easier to read at night (although I prefer the
look of the older style gauges).  Cabin lighting is much better in the
later model with lights in the footwells instead of at the rear of the
driveshaft tunnel.

But all that aside.  The condition of the individual car is much more
important than is the model year of the car.  If you want to buy a car and
drive it you need to look at what it is.  If you want to buy a car and work
on it, to improve it, then you need to look at the potential of the car and
what you are willing and wanting to do with it.

I like different aspects of both ranges and if I were to build my ideal TR6
I would use parts of both ranges.

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (with a 73 frame, J-type overdrive, 71 gauges, 74 rear bumper, 73
doors, etc)

Dave