Re: Ok, a TR6 Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ok, a TR6 Question
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:06:14 EST
In a message dated 2/16/2002 12:48:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, lep@epix.net
writes:

> Ok, here a comment for you guys that I got today while finishing the sale of
> the 1948 Jeepster.  I was asked by the Notary what I would be getting next.
>  I said probably a Triumph but wasn't sure which model.  At that he said:
>
> "Better find a good mechanic since these cars are high maintenance"
>
> Ok, is this truth or another one of those old storys floating around?

IMO, it's far more "story/legend" than fact. True, compared to a brand-new
2002 model, with oil changes every 7500 miles, virtually no chassis
lubrication and spark plug changes only every 100,000 miles or so -- YES,
Triumphs are high maintenance, and some are higher maintenance than others.
The older TRs in particular had a fair number of grease points on various
parts of the chassis, etc., etc. -- none of which is any worse (perhaps not
even as bad) as other contemporary cars.

What about that Jeepster? How often were oil changes required? Does it even
have an external, replaceable oil filter? How many grease points on that
chassis?

Of course, if your Notary friend there is referring to the old "well, you're
gonna spend every Saturday adjustin' them durn carburetors, etc., and parts
is always a-breakin'" legend, then I don't buy into that at all. Never did;
never will. And from what I've seen in recent years, parts -- and overall
costs involved with "major" repairs -- tend to be cheaper on Triumphs than
they are with many newer vehicles.

As always, your mileage may vary, don't try this at home, smoke 'em if ya got
'em, etc.... ;-)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.