Re: Ok, A TR6 Question

Subject: Re: Ok, A TR6 Question
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:35:00 -0800
>Been looking over the Net and I've seen some nice TR6s.  I also have
>a buyers guide which mentions that the better cars are the pre 1971.
>What would make these better than say a 1972 - 1974?

I think this becomes more a matter of opinion, LeRoy.  However, it's
been my experience that just about no matter what kind of car your
looking for, whether it's a Corvette, a 240Z, Triumph, MG or
whatever, you will find the same generalization made.  If you're
looking for a Z car, get the pre-73 model.  If you're looking for an
MGB, get the pre-73 (or is it '74?) model.  This kind of thing
applies to almost any car, as long as the car in question had a
production run that spans mid-late 60s to mid-late 70s.  It was in
the early to mid 70's that the emissions stuff really started to
proliferate, and that's the logic behind that generalization.

And it does apply, to some extent, to TR6s.  The earlier ones were a
bit simpler, a bit more unencumbered by all the federally mandated
safety features and emissions equipment.  But just about every other
consideration really just boils down to your taste and what it is
that you like about one model year vs. another.  I own a 1973 model,
and as far as I'm concerned, the '73 is the best model year to get.
(no bias, there!)

Some folks really dislike the big black bumper overriders that
appeared on TR6s beginning in 1974, and of course my '73 lacks these.
(the overriders don't bother me as much as they bother some) The trim
on the earlier cars was more bland.  Starting in '72 they added some
minor chrome trim here and there and added those union jack decals
near the rear side markers, among other things, and I like the look
of those union jack decals.  The pre-'72 cars' front bumpers are
higher and just about run into the bottom sides of the turn signal
lenses, a feature that I've never liked.  Makes it look thrown
together.  In '72 the front bumper dropped about an inch, maybe a bit
more.  Looks much cleaner that way.  I think the interior details on
the later cars are more desirable, such as a column-mounted dimmer
switch as opposed to the foot-switch of the pre-'72 TR6s.  The gauges
are nicer-looking as well, again, in my opinion.

To some people the overdrive is a big factor, and in a pre-72 car
with OD, the OD would work on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears.  After '72 the
OD's only worked on 3rd and 4th gears.  Maybe you don't particularly
want an OD.  My car wasn't built with an OD, and while it might be
kind of cool to have the OD, I don't lose any sleep over it.

The earlier cars had more problems with the lower wishbone supports
breaking.  Beginning in '72 or '73 the factory began welding in
gussets to prevent this, so there's another argument for AVOIDING
earlier cars.

I think you get the picture.  There's pros and cons to both early and
late TR6s.  I like my '73, a mid-range car, because it benefits from
4 years of prior production and development in the TR6 model, and
because it precedes the later federally mandated stuff that many
think began to ruin the cars.  I would not personally want a '76 TR6,
for instance, because they have air injection and other additional
emissions equipment that my '73 lacks.

If I were in the market for another TR6, I'd probably confine my
search to either a '72 or another '73.  That's the best of both
worlds, as far as I can tell.  But really, if I were in the market
for another Triumph, I'd look for a TR250, because then I'd have a
Triumph that was 'born' the same year I was!

Your mileage may DEFINITELY vary!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6