Shipwright's Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tony@tonydrews.com
Subject: Shipwright's Brakes
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:41:24 -0600
Last October my TR6 brakes locked up, fortunately just a block away from
home. I had no idea why this happened, so after determining that it was
only the FRONT brakes that were locking up I enlisted the collective
wisdom of the list and followed all suggestions. Thanks, folks. So If
this subject is not interesting to you, now is your chance to hit
DELETE.

Since then, I worked my way through the system, putting in all these
parts:

front brake hoses
rear brake hoses
master cylinder rebuild kit
what the heck -- might as well do the rest of the brakes.......
front caliper kits
rear cylinder kits
front pads
rear pads
turn drums
reface rotors
Well, while I have the rears apart, might as well pull the halfshafts
and lube the splines...........Oh oh - grease on the brake shoes, need
to rebuild the hubs...
had a machine shop press them apart and found
two broken hubs(broken a long time, still haven't figured out why)
two used hubs
bearings and seals for rear hubs

Test drive. Brakes locked up!!!  I then determined that the seal for the
secondary piston in the master cylinder was loose in the bore --
probably been rebored in the past -- which called for a

new master cylinder

Got it all together today and took it for a test drive........guess
what.........the front brakes locked up!!!!

Without disturbing the hydraulic system, I unbolted my (new) master
cylinder from the servo unit and -- presto -- the front brakes released!
So I replaced the

servo unit

Guess what all this cost? Would you believe close to $1000?

Besides, I'm not really sure it's fixed, but I've sure got a nice
braking system on my economical-to-maintain
LBC......................glad it gets good gas mileage

--

uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue