RE: Please HELP with brake bleeding problem

To: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: Please HELP with brake bleeding problem
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:40:51 -0500
Cc: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'[unknown]'" <owner-6pack@autox.team.net>
Dave Massey wrote:
It also conceivable that the PO (previous owner) had been in the master
cylinder and had left out the floating piston.  In order to make this
work
he would have to plug the port to the smaller reservoir.  This is
consistent with your symptoms.  But there can be a less sinister cause.
Just keep in mind just how important your brakes are.

Good Luck

Dave

This was the possibility suggested by TRF/Dave.  The PO, who is a nice
guy, may have been unaware of this and it was simply rebuilt (which it
appears to have been) be an incompetent person or company.

Well, it is starting to look like a fairly large rebuild of the entire
brake system is in order.  I'm not sure how far I will have to go and
will most likely do it in two parts with the MC coming first and
foremost.

Dave, if I understood you correctly, then the front plunger in the MC
could be the culprit, if it even exists, as to the cause of my problems.
And since the front brakes do most of the work this makes sense.
However, unless I'm overlooking something, it also appears that my rear
brakes were actually working but simply being supplied with brake fluid
from the front reservoir.

TR6's are supposed to have two independent braking systems, but I
believe I had in effect one system.  This was working fine, but if I had
any problemsm with the MC that would cause the front brakes to go then I
would go from 4 brakes to NO brakes in a heartbeat.  And a quick
hearbeat that would be.

Lucky that I cought it now.

Now about that additional 100 hp.....

R. Ashford Little II