RE: new spit owner

To: "Jon Paschke" <JPASCHKE@bak.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: new spit owner
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:16:39 -0800
Jon :

There really isn't much more I can suggest, beyond starting with the
electrical (because it's easy, not because it's more likely).

The only way I can see that your description makes sense is if the OD is
trying to engage in 1st and 2nd gear.  This could be an intermittent
electrical problem (might well only happen with the car pointed uphill <g>),
or a hydraulic problem (leakage past the operating valve), or possibly even
the solenoid sticking.  Direct drive on the OD is engaged by a set of
springs, which are unlikely to fail.  The direct drive clutch carries the
load in either forward or reverse gears, so if it slips in 1st it should
also slip in reverse.  Plus, there is a secondary clutch (called the overrun
or sprag clutch) that also prevents slippage in direct drive, but only for
forward gears!

Of course, there are other drivetrain components that can fail, but again,
I'll let a Spitfire expert tell you more about those.

Randall Young
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
et al