RE: TR3 fan replacement

To: <grhodes@talbotcorp.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 fan replacement
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:02:39 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Bill, what are your thoughts on push vs pull? My setup up currently is this:
>No radiator shroud (I ordered one today from moss), an old 14" electric fan
>pushing. I don't think the fan I have currently has enough juice to be doing
>its job. The car is running too hot- about 200 at normal operating
>conditions and higher if I'm on the highway doing a consistent 70-75. I'm
>thinking of buying a 14" Hayden fan today and mounting it as a puller. It
>seems logical that anything mounted on the front of the radiator would
>decrease airflow, am I wrong?

Hi Gavin, been several long threads on this, consensus is that
"pulling" is better. That is the way the car was designed in the
first place. I will admit that my Avalon uses (stock) the push mode,
but again it was designed to do that. My TR3 is a small mouth, but I
hear from the list that the deflector is a big help and if yours is a
TR3A wide mouth and the grill is not original you might need to
"flatten" the cross bars in the grill for even more air flow.
Good Luck
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3