RE: any ideas on why my choke won't? TR3A

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: any ideas on why my choke won't? TR3A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:10:36 -0800
Bob :

When I first installed my new choke cable, I could pull the knob with just
thumb and forefinger.  After over 15 years of use, it's gotten stiffer, I
now pull on the knob with index and ring finger, while pressing on the dash
with my thumb.

Suggestions :

1) Replace the springs inside the jets with new ones from Moss or TRF.
Resist the temptation to stretch them to stop leaks.

2) Polish the od of the jets until they shine.  HF sells modestly priced
buffs and compounds.  Smear a little 'moly' grease on them when reinstalling
(don't know that this helps, but it doesn't hurt <g>)

3) Replace the jet return springs with new ones from Moss or TRF.  Again,
resist the temptation to stretch them.

4) Hopefully you already did this, but JIC disassemble the new choke cable,
and coat the core with 'moly' or 'teflon' grease.  When reinstalling, take
nearly all the slack out of the choke linkage while tightening the nut that
clamps the cable.  IMO, 1/2 to 3/4" free travel at the knob is ideal.

5) Check the fast idle linkage, to be sure it isn't going 'over center' and
trying to turn the cam the wrong way.

If all else fails, buy one of Jonmac's "factory approved choke holding
tools" <g>

Randall