Re:Crankshaft woodruff key

To: hutton@evansville.net
Subject: Re:Crankshaft woodruff key
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 05:56:00 -0800
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
>I'm starting on my first engine teardown and have reached the woodruff
>key on the crankshaft. Haynes says pull it out with pliers - who they
>trying to kid. I'm a little hesitant to try pounding under it with a
>screwdriver to force it out - is there a list-approved method other than
>that?
A trick I learned a long time ago is to use a "wire cutter" commonly
referred to (by me anyway) as "dikes (sp)"  Just use the jaws parallel to
the crank and grab the key with them as close to the surface as possible.
Then lever or wedge the key out using the back portion of the jaws to grab
the long edges of the key and the front portion to lever against the crank
surface kinda like a pry bar.  It should be only a light press fit, and yes
upon  installation it is simply tapped into place until it bottoms - Never
had a key i couldn't remove using this method and never damaged any
surfaces either.  Simple and effective -