Re: Re:Crankshaft woodruff key

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Re:Crankshaft woodruff key
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:35:20 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, March 07, 2002 7:37 PM

>> The best ones are sharpened so they cut off flush.
>
>That would depend on your definition of 'best'.  "Flush cut" jaws are very
>valuable for certain kinds of work, but they are always weaker than the
>equivalent standard jaw.  Thus for rough work (and prying Woodruff keys out
>of their keyways certainly qualifies as rough), the standard jaw is better.

Perhaps by "best", I should have said "finest".  I agree that there is room
for both.  In the case where you want the standard, a cheaper tool will
probably  do.  When you want the flush-cut, you will need to spend more for
a quality tool.  A cheap flush-cutting tool (are there any?) wouldn't last
long.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org