RE: Re:Crankshaft woodruff key

Subject: RE: Re:Crankshaft woodruff key
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 19:04:50 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Perhaps by "best", I should have said "finest".  I agree that
> there is room
> for both.  In the case where you want the standard, a cheaper tool will
> probably  do.  When you want the flush-cut, you will need to
> spend more for
> a quality tool.  A cheap flush-cutting tool (are there any?) wouldn't last
> long.

I own a (relatively) cheap pair of flush-cut dikes, I've had them for a long
time.  As long as I'm careful to only cut small gauge copper with them, they
seem to do fine.  There is some small damage to the jaws, where I've tried
to cut 14 AWG solid with them.

I also own an expensive pair of standard-cut dikes, they will cheerfully
tackle small steel bolts without damage.  The handle actually incorporates a
compound leverage arrangement, like bolt cutters, but these were bought to
cut sizeable (12 AWG solid) copper wire in a production environment.  The
best flush cut dikes I've ever seen would not last a week in the environment
these were purchased for.  After all these years, I've no idea what they
actually cost (my employer bought them), but I would bet it was at least 4
times what I paid for the flush cuts ...

Randall