Restoration questions, and trans-atlantic bodyshell transport

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoration questions, and trans-atlantic bodyshell transport
From: "Brian Furgalus" <bf252201@ohio.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 21:09:49 -0500
Listers,

I'm contemplating the restoration of a TR8.  What amount of money would the
list say is typical for "fixing up" a generally rust-free southern-Californian
shell (of any type really, doesn't have to be TR8) and getting it
professionally prepped, painted, and rustproofed to a reasonably high level of
quality?

Also, I'm looking into the possibility of buying a reconditioned bodyshell
from S+S Preparations in the UK.  They have the only remaining TR7 body
alignment jigs for repairs, and they are experts with the car, so I figure
they are the best source.  They also have a full paint shop with oven, etc, so
I figure it might be wise to order a complete, painted, undercoated and
waxoyled body from them, and have it freighted over to the US.

Do any listers have experience shipping over a NONROLLING bodyshell from the
UK to a major port of entry (Newark and Baltimore are the only ones
practically close)?

TIA,
Brian Furgalus