Re: Restoration questions, and trans-atlantic bodyshell transport

To: "Brian Furgalus" <bf252201@ohio.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Restoration questions, and trans-atlantic bodyshell transport
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 22:07:16 -0500
> Do any listers have experience shipping over a NONROLLING
> bodyshell from the UK to a major port of entry (Newark and
> Baltimore are the only ones practically close)?
>
> TIA,
> Brian Furgalus

Non-rolling, and protected from the elements means you'll want to put it in
a sea container.  Sea container prices from the UK run about $300 per 27sq
ft (so long as it is a 3x3x3' cube).  So you can see it will get pretty
costly, if I remember right though, you're young like me, and so long as you
attend some sort of school you can find shipping companies offering student
rates for transatlantic shipping.  It can drop off about $75 per each cubic
unit.

I would recommend NOT having it painted in the UK, have it primed and ready
for paint, but why do the finish work when it can get damaged.  You have no
idea what kind of damage may come from whatever else is packed in your
container, unless you buy out an entire container.  And even then the
packing, loading, 5000+ mile voyage, unloading, and uncrating may cause
damage.  I highly recommend you find a sea freight broker who is fully
insured and who has dealt with a reciprocal agent in the UK previously, so
that they both communicate well to each other.

A good friend had a Fiat 500 shipped over to the USA about three years ago,
took about 8 months to get everyone working together.  The car wasn't
located in a port town, so it had to be transported via road to a port town
(which was yet again through another freight agent).

For the money, I'd find a shell stateside, and restore it here.

Kai