Re: Restoration questions, and trans-atlantic bodyshell transport

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com, bf252201@ohio.edu
Subject: Re: Restoration questions, and trans-atlantic bodyshell transport
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 00:20:14 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
One thing you might want to consider is that the
VIN number of late model Wedges is stamped on the inside
of right-hand gutter of the trunk (boot...for all you non English
speakers) lid. You might have a hard time convincing a
future buyer of your car that it is indeed an original TR8 if
you substitute a body with VIN number that does not
correspond to the known registry. This is only a consideration,
and I apologize if I missed the intent of the original post. I
came on this one a bit late, however it may be an important
consideration. As far as I know, this applies only to the
TR7/8 series of Triumph cars, although it might have been
included in the Acclaim series.

Best Regards,
Kirk Yonker
81 TR8 Fi Dhc (non A/C)
Seattle

105671.471@compuserve.com writes:

<< Message text written by "Brian Furgalus"
 >I'm contemplating the restoration of a TR8.  What amount of money would
 the
 list say is typical for "fixing up" a generally rust-free
 southern-Californian
 shell (of any type really, doesn't have to be TR8) and getting it
 professionally prepped, painted, and rustproofed to a reasonably high level
 of
 quality?
 <

 I took my totally stripped (dipped and primered) body shell to a shop and
 $4500 later they gave back a very nicely done painted body shell ready for
 reassembly.  But they did a little more than just prep and paint.  They
 replaced on fender and filled a number of rust pin holes as well.  Also
 consider that this shop is in a low wage area so your milage may vary.

 BTW there is no difference in the bodyshells between the TR7 and TR8.  The
 TR8 will require a couple of additional holes in the bulkhead (firewall).

 Dave