TR3A body tub

To: Todd Richmond <twr@fc.hp.com>
Subject: TR3A body tub
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:37:05 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Todd Richmond
>I am almost ready to remove the tub of my TR3A off the frame in my total
restoration project.  I plan to work on the frame, suspension, engine, etc.
first, and put most of the body work off till later.  That begs the
question,
where do I put my body tub in the meantime?

Well, I have a high enough ceiling in my garage so that I think I have
enough
room to hoist the tub up there and leave it for a while.  Now for my
question(s):

1) How much does a body tub actually weigh?

2) Any recommendations as far as hoists go? electric? manual? safety
measures?

3) Has anyone done something similar who would be willing to share their
experience?
<

Todd, that is the perenial problem, where to put it.  Sounds like hanging
it from the rafters is the ticket.  The body only weighs a couple of
hundred pounds and you and a few of your mates can easily lift it off.
That's what I did when I did my TR3.  You can take off the wings (fenders),
the bonnet (hood), the boot (trunk) lid and the windscreen (windshield) but
DO NOT TAKE OFF THE DOORS.  The doors will provide the structural stiffness
to prevent the body from folding up in the middle.  Keep them attached and
closed until the body is back on the frame.

If you hang the bosy from the rafters get a good long 4X4 to distribute the
load across 5 or so rafters.  The total load will be less than a good snow.
 You can get a couple of "come-alongs" for about $25 each and ratchet the
body up high enough that you'll bump your head each time you forget it's
there.  I put mine on a small utility trailer and parked it outside under a
tarp.

Perhaps you can con the local art museum to put it on display.

Cheers

Dave