TR6 Rear Suspension

To: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject: TR6 Rear Suspension
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:18:24 -0500
Cc: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)"
>I've just acquired a trailing arm polyeurethane rebush kit and a rear
anti-sway bar kit, and am wondering if anyone out there has any experiences
they'd care to share with me on the installation of these. While the kits
do
come with instructions, I'd be particularly interested in hearing if there
are any tricks which ease the installation or things to watch out for (I
haven't started installing them yet). So, before I begin, any advice,
anyone?
<

Frank, the hard part is getting the old rubber bushes out.  the usual
procedure is to press them out with a couple of socket wrenches (one small
enough to pass through the trailing arm and one large enough to allow the
bush to enter) or to heat the arm until the rubber melts (works well for
steel but on aluminium you gotta be careful) but a new technique I used
recently on my TR8 (which has some really huge bushes in the rear
suspension arms) is to drill out the rubber with a hand drill.  Select a
drill that will fit between the inner sleeve and the hole in the trailing
arm.  Drill several holes until the bushing gets loose enough to pull out.

One tip on installing the poly: grease up the sleeves before installing
otherwise they will squeek (ask me how I know).

Regarding the sway bar, since this is an after market part they vary and
you should follow the manufacturer's instructions.  Mine required several
fender washers and bolts through the hole in the center of the spring perch
of the trailing arm.  How does your's mount?

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA