Clutch fork cross shaft

To: jim wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Clutch fork cross shaft
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:41:14 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by jim wallace
>Sure enough, the tapered pin that secures the throwout bearing fork to the

cross shaft is broken. Problem now is, the fork, while quite loose, isn't
loose
enough to slide off. They sure didn't make that leftover bit of pin
accessible.
Haynes says the fork can be a "tight fit".
One question: is it reasonable to start hammering on it, or is that tapered
pin
(whatever is left of it in there) hardened, making it likely I'll bust the
fork?

Other question: if indeed I have to saw the shaft in half, is it solid, or
hollow? I hope it's like, totally tubular. Else I'll be sawing for a week.
Regards,
<

Jim, the shaft is solid.   It is also cheaper than the fork so sacrificing
the shaft to save the fork is a profitable venture.  I used a right angle
grinder and cut through mine in a few minutes.  If the pin is broken off it
is not likely to come out with shaking, hammering, vibrating or other
less-than-forceful measures but perhaps drilling a small hole in the other
side of the fork large enough for a small drift (or nail set) will allow
you to drive it out.

Dave