RE: HP/Compaq merger No LBC Content

Subject: RE: HP/Compaq merger No LBC Content
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:06:19 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Actually, it was Walter Hewlett that led the merger opposition, and I
believe that "Hot Young female CEO" is Carly Fiorina, 47, who is HP's CEO
and one of the primary proponents of the merger.

Why is he so upset ?  Well, HP was having difficulties anyway, and taking on
the added burden of Compaq and all their difficulties is just tying an
albatross around HP's neck.  They now have two competing brand names, both
of which have good brand name recognition as being under-performing,
over-priced, and incompatible.  Compaq used to rule the high-end PC server
market, they lost it to HP.  HP has now pissed it away, people are buying
Dell's (of all things).  Compaq also used to be the "gold standard" for
laptops.  "Nobody ever got fired for buying Compaq", to steal a phrase.
But, their little fiasco a few years back, with an entire production run of
laptops reaching customers hands with a 100% return rate, pretty well killed
that, too.

All in all, methinks this does not bode well for the future of either Compaq
or HP, at least in the PC market.  But I'm sure Ms Fiorina will have taken
the money and run by the time the other stock holders figure out they've
been hoodwinked.

Randall