Re: crack in firewall

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: crack in firewall
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:58:54 -0000
Hi John
I too have had the crack in the firewall, on a Dolomite. Mine started under
the accelerator pedal and went to the outside of the car at the A post (rhd)
in two directions forming a rotated Y shape.
I welded it back together and ground it flush where fittings rested, leaving
it raised (stronger) where I could. When I re-fitted the pedal I added a
reinforcing plate in the engine bay to help spread the load. This repair has
held up for several years, I decided from the wear pattern on the pedal
rubber that the PO had a driving position / style that pushed the pedal
sideways as well as in, possibly leading to the failure of the fire wall.

HTH
Graham.