RE: TR2 to neg ground

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: RE: TR2 to neg ground
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:36:38 -0500
Cc: "'Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, "'David A. Templeton'" <davidt@opentext.com>
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>Can somebody tell me what the rational was behind the change from Positive
to Negative grounding.
<

Before the invention of electronic devices (Fleming Valves) it was totally
arbitrary what direction electricity flowed.  A heater, a light bulb and a
would field motor worked equally well either way.  So selection which
battery terminal gets connected to chassis is totally arbitrary.  I suspect
that the US auto industry selected the negative terminal and the Europeans
selected the positive terminal.  With international trade in automobiles
comingled the two standards confusion reigned and at some point (probably
when electronics became more popular) it made sense to settle on one
standard or the other and negative won out.

Just my theory.

Now, why do engines all turn in the same direction?

Dave Massey