Re: Miata vs. TR6 drag race

To: "Phil Smith" <philip.smith25@verizon.net>, <JASandPJS@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata vs. TR6 drag race
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:28:30 -0500
Phil Smith wrote:

> I was reading grassroots/ motorsports the other night, at Barnes
> and noble, about a guy name Pierce who took a 1970 MGB and
> replaced the heads with heads he manufactures and got like 150+
> horsepower,with other mods as well.  He claims he spits out
> Miatas.Also he said he will be making these heads for triumphs
> soon. Has anyone else read the article? If so do you remember
> his web page? What a beautiful car

Webpage:  http://www.piercemanifolds.com

Don't hold your breath for the Triumph heads.  I talked to Mike Pierce about
them in November of 2000 and I'm still waiting to see something physical.

Pierce's road going MGB, as in the May GRM, is modified to spin up to a
redline of 8900RPM.  But, for some reason I'm unaware of, Pierce chose to
use a stock crank and stock rods.  8900RPM and a power output DOUBLE
(172bhp) of the original MGB motor.  Another client of Pierce, also
mentioned in the article, has a similar spec MGB race motor making 192bhp at
8900RPM.  All very nutty for those types of motors.  Note:  they're all
using Pierce's crossflow head.  No fuel injection, the rest of the upgrades
are all rather conventional aside from the ignition system.

Kai