Door Pop - was Window seal installation questions

To: "Tom Di Iulio" <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Door Pop - was Window seal installation questions
From: <stantr6@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:28:25 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tom,

Just went through this myself - In my case, the driver door had, in a
prior ownership, been dented by the edge of the front fender,
indicating the strap had failed.  When I got the car ('74 TR6), the
fitting in the A-post that the strap rides through was broken.

As part of frame-off, all was disassembled.  I bolted (small bolts) in
a new fitting in the A-post, crease in door was repaired, etc.
Assembled the empty door (window guts, interior panel, etc, still
out.) a few weeks ago and noticed a vert pronounced BANG when door was
starting to be closed.

I investigated and found that in the two tabs on the jamb of the door,
the holes had been elongated (likely from whatever event broke the
A-post fitting and resulted in the crease in the door skin).

What I concluded was happening was:  As the strap is being pushed back
into the A-post, the "W" shaped portions of the check strap are pried
over the top and bottom of the A-post fitting.  In my case, as they
neared the inside of the fitting, the beveled edge of the two "W"
shaped pieces rapidly pulled the strap towards the A-post.  It was
obvious as I could see the strap jump forward at the BANG.  This was
due to the play in the elongated holes in the tabs on the door jamb.

I have since cut out the tabs, fabricated new ones out of 3/4" flat
stock, fabricated a bracket from 1" angle that fits inside the door,
and re-assembled the lot with a new strap from TRF.  Loud BANG is
gone; there is only a minor snap sound.  That is still due to some
play in the connection between the new tabs and the new strap.  New
tabs have 1/4" holes, new strap has a very slightly larger hole (metric ?).

I figure the only way to eliminate all noise is to ensure the holes in
the tabs, the hole in the strap, and the pin passing through them (was
a rivet, is now a grade 8 1/4" bolt shank) are all sized so there in NO play.

Hope this is useful....
Stan