First Car

To: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: First Car
From: "Richard Paquette" <richard@locationpyramide.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:15:22 -0500
I couldn't watch this list any longer without commenting...

In 2002 I purchased a superb 1974-1/2 TR6 and imported it into Eastern Canada
from Seattle.  I finally made it back to being a LBC owner, 25 years later.

First car, out of High School, was an MGB that was so rusted that the frame
started bending and the doors wouldn't close. After a bad pothole, they
wouldn't open either. But I learned about body work, suspension, brakes,
heads, transmissions, ...you name it, in the process.  I junked it in 1971 and
bought an MGB-GT.  (Can you say: "out of the frying pan, and into the fire").
Ran it hard until I bought a brand spankin' new Magenta TR6 in mid 1974!
(Comm: CF17280U - Engine: CF17584UE).  I found the invoice file just last
week, and discovered I had paid $4895.00 Cdn (no O/D, I couldn't afford the
extra $200 they were asking!).  Licensing cost an exorbitant $4.74!  My first
1000 mile British Leyland warrantee inspection was free, except for a $2.10
oil filter, and some oil. They adjusted the choke cable too, ...sound
familiar?  Some things never change.  I don't know why, but the headlight
switch burned out regularly (It took Dan Masters 30 years to precisely explain
to me that it's not a good idea to wire the fog lights through the headlight
switch). The switch was all of $3.80.  TRF postage for a screw costs more than
that now. ...Boy, What I'd give today to have that car back.

After driving it to Vancouver and back (except for one flat tire, never had a
problem) I traded it in for something with 2 more cylinders. They were in a
new '78 Trans Am, which was followed by series of new Trans Am's.  My current
cars and SUV all sacrifice themselves in the salt and snow to allow my 'new'
TR6 to enjoy a winter vacation in my warehouse sleeping peacefully, under a
car cover.  I guess the current TR is receiving all the TLC that the first TR
should have gotten, but didn't.

Ahhh, the memories...

Richard Paquette
Montreal