first car

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: first car
From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault@bu.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 08:47:13 -0500
My first car was a '58 Tr3.  It was 1968 and I was a junior in college.  I
had just finished helping two friends make one running MGA out of two
damaged cars.  Mom told me that a friend had a little car for sale.  She
thought it was a Volkswagen but I went to look anyway 8-).  And there it
was, a TR 3.  The first I'd ever seen.  It had a sprung hood and smashed
windshield.  I got the owner to reduce the price to $200 from $250 because
that is what it would cost to replace the windshield.  He drove it over,
removed the plates and left.  I was then free to explore the car and to
discover that the floors were about rotted out.  I fixed them and the rusted
out front fenders and holes in the sills with fiberglass.  I got all the
gauges working and replaced burned out bulbs.  I got a new fiber gear for
the odometer and I got it registered.  It wouldn't pass inspection until it
got new ball joints.  I had the carbs rebuilt.  I loved that car.

Ron