Re: Potential Scam Warning

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Potential Scam Warning
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:53:38 -0700
Sam Gentry wrote:

> ...Apparently, unless you know a lot about the person giving you money, the
> only safe way is to have them do the bank transaction and hand you green
> money...

Even this is possibly not a good idea when large sums and denominations are
involved.  I've heard that a notable percentage of 100s in circulation are
counterfeit.  If a buyer wants to bring a suitcase full of cash I would want to
meet him at the bank.

> All this sure makes selling cars a lot harder if the buyer/seller is out of
> town.  I suppose something like PayPal would work since they guarantee the
> funds....

I wouldn't count on PayPal if the buyer chooses to dispute the charge after the
sale (claiming he was not the purchaser).

I have always used wire transfer when buying and selling cars via the internet.
I expect there are still ways fraud can occur but it seems the quickest and most
certain way to know you've got the money (in movies anyway it seems to be the
transaction of choice for spies, kidnappers and drug dealers).

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4