Re: Potential Scam Warning

To: "Scott H." <austrheamgafun@arczip.com>, "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Potential Scam Warning
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:16:43 -0600
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
From: "Scott H." <austrheamgafun@arczip.com>
To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>; <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 6:52 PM
Subject: Potential Scam Warning

> Hello everyone,
>
> Here's a scam that I feel all of you need to be aware of......
>
> My boss has been trying to sell his son's Pontiac Fiero through the local
> newspaper and regional photo ad magazine for several months.  He wasn't
> getting anywhere with those two sources, so he decided to place an ad with
> Fiero club in the Detroit area that has a classified section on their web
> site.  He recently received an e-mail message from a person in Africa who
> wanted to buy the car, and then have it transported to himself in Africa.
The
> prospective buyer then told him that he had an associate that he does
business
> with in the United States who owes him $6000.

Stop right there.  This very thing happened to a car seller here in
Minnesota.  It was in the newspapers.  The victim received the cashier's
check in the mail, deposited it, and then wired the money to a Post Office
Box in Nigeria.  Surprise, the cashier's check was a forgery.

No way am I going to pony up cash to anyone who is buying a car from me.

BTW, they never sent anyone to pick up the car...

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com