Re: Forwarded: triumphs in general

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Forwarded: triumphs in general
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:48:56 +0000
>     From: L1J1S@aol.com
>     Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 20:55:31 EST
>     Subject: triumphs in general
>
>Listers.   Trying to come up with a subjective opinion on the importantance
>and most desirable Triumphs today.  With a general pool of
>TR2-3-4-4A-250-SPITFIRES-GT6- 6-7-8 what is the the choice for today and
>tomorrow?

Much as I love Triumphs, I'm not sure that any really count as
"important" cars.   Attractive, enjoyable, fun, yes, but none of them is
"important" except in a very limited sense.   Perhaps the most important
Triumph is one which you don't even include in your list: the 1959 948cc
Triumph Herald, from which so many other cars were derived.

As far as desirability is concerned, your Freudian slip is showing.
Clearly you don't find Heralds, Vitesses, Couriers, Dolomites, Toledos,
1300s, 1500s, 2000s, 2.5PIs, TR5s, Stags or Acclaims particularly
desirable.   And that proves that desirability is in the eye of the
beholder...   But you did say that you were looking for a *subjective*
response, so here is my list of Top Ten Triumphs in order of
desirability (to me).   YMMV.

  1. Herald 1200 Convertible
  2. 2.5PI Estate
  3. Spitfire 1500
  4. Herald 1200 Saloon
  5. Spitfire 4
  6. 1936 Dolomite
  7. Courier Van
  8. TR-2
  9. TR-3
10. Herald 948 Coupi

I doubt that anyone else's list will remotely resemble mine.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671