What do the professionals do?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: What do the professionals do?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:59:46 +0000
Dear All,

Yesterday, I replaced the bushes in the O/S/F trunnion of my Spitfire.
It took me four and a half hours.    Four hours and twenty-seven minutes
to get the old ones out, and three minutes to fit the new ones.   The
bolt had rusted solidly to the distance piece, and I spent far too long
trying to drive it out before giving up and cutting both ends off with
an angle grinder, at which point it proved possible to wiggle the
trunnion out away from the car, and therefore to remove the central
portion of the old bolt and the distance-piece as one item.

What would a professional mechanic have done when faced with a similar
situation?   Would he have gone straight for the angle grinder as soon
as he realised the bolt was stuck (knowing that he was likely to cause
at least a small amount of damage to the wishbones)?   Or are there any
tricks of the trade he would have tried first (other than soaking the
thing in WD40, which I tried)?   I can't believe that any half-way
competent mechanic would have made such a big job of this as I did, and
I would like to know what to do next time.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671