Re: Brake Parts

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Parts
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:39:15 +0100 h838modl009684
From: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>

> I can't debate the point on a drum brake stopping a car just as well as
> discs, I would question whether this held true in the rain or after passing
> through standing water. The main advantage of discs is the repeatability of
> stopping several times in quick succession, and the availability of linings.
> Stock linings may stop equally well, but how about Green Stuff for Herald
> front drums, I know it is available for the Disc pads, and I'll wager that
> will always beat drums?

Hi Graham,
    I've never had any problems with passing through standing water on a drum
braked Herald, but I agree about it's potential. As regards green stuff pads,
I'm fortunate enough to have reasonable stocks of asbestos linings for my own
cars - I can't sell them legally,  so I may as well use them on my own
vehicles! The modern non-asbestos linings for the front drums have actually
become very expensive, a justification for a disc conversion in it's own right.
I won't argue that discs are not a better solution, but drums aren't something
worth getting paranoid about - they are still a good and effective braking
system on a correctly maintained Herald.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics