Re: Brake Parts

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Parts
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:32:14 +0100 h82Mfhdl008842
From: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>

> The original Herald master cylinder is long since unobtanium as far as I'm
> aware. The only replacements seem to be the type that have the reservoir at
> right angles to the bore, most people supply one that has a big plastic
> reservoir to give the required volume to the system.

Hi Graham,
    Early disc braked Heralds used a master cylinder identical to that for the
clutch, except for the increased height of the reservoir - this type is indeed
very scarce. Later cars used the standard drum brake and clutch type master
cylinder in conjunction with a plastic extension which increased the volume.
I'm uncertain of the change point, but I think this would have been standard by
the time Eduard's car rolled down the line. There's actually no problem in
obtaining the original clutch/drum brake master cylinder, the right angled
reservoir type is simply a cheaper aftermarket item which is also readily
available.

> Is your Herald a front
> drum model, if so I would suggest you upgraded to a set of Spitfire discs,
> on a convenience level well worth the change, on a safety level imperative
> for today's traffic! Even If I were building a concours car I would do this
> and forgo any points willingly to be able to drive to the show in safety.

I agree to a point, but I have found repeatedly that a drum braked Herald will
stop far quicker than a similar car on discs. Where drums lose out is on the
regular adjustments which are required. Drums are also more prone to brake fade
when hot, so no fun on long hills. The early disc installation with type 12
calipers I would not consider to be any improvement over drums.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics