Re: Overdrives on Automatics

To: bj4wood@optusnet.com.au, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrives on Automatics
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:27:18 EDT
Do you know the specific trans model?  It might be more feasible to replace
it with a later model 4 speed automatic.   The only add on overdrives I've seen
are for larger American transmissions and are aimed at the light truck market.

There are a few smaller auto trans that were factory reengineered in to 4
speeds by adding a OD section at the front of the transmission.  There was a
Japanese trans ( JATCO? )  and a Chrysler Torque Flight that was modified for
use
in the Chrysler Conquest/ Mitisubishi Starion.

Is you car a V8? ( Buick ) Perhaps a mix of Land Rover trans with a tail
shaft from a 2 wd car could work.

As for the 2 speed rear end, the only one I know of ( as a option ) in the US
was the ~ 65-69 Mercury Cougar ( based on the Ford Mustang )  All other 2
speed rear ends are for large trucks and possibly 1930's era for cars.
Harold