RE: TR3 - Wentworth

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 - Wentworth
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:42:26 -0700
> In a message dated 9/5/2003 7:39:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> rhjgaj@pacbell.net writes:
>
> > I'm surprised that no responded to the inquiry about TR3 bolt head sizes
> > and explained that the bolt heads of "Whitworth" English bolts do not
> > conform to the American bolt head sizes.  Therefore US wrenches will
> > either be too small or will slip.

I must've missed the original question (been having email troubles lately).
"Whitworth" bolts do indeed take special wrench sizes.  There is a chart at
http://www.britishtool.com/socket.htm
that gives decimal sizes for BA, BSF, and BSW wrenches.  Note the
interesting relationship between the BSF and BSW sizes.

> OK, someone will happily correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe
> one will find many "Whitworth" or other older British-style
> fittings on the TR.

Not many, but some.  Here's a few that come to mind that need Whitworth
wrenches (although I believe they are actually BA threads) :
SU damper pistons
SU mixture adjustment
SU throttle shaft clamps
nuts on starter solenoid
nut on starter terminal

And a few more that are BA threads :
small gauge studs (I just checked this the other day, no they aren't that
weird metric size that others including me have said they are)
screws that hold vent door to body
screws that hold door strike plate to body
screws that hold soft top straps to body
screws that hold "toilet seat covers" to body
screws that hold trunk latch to body

I'm sure there are more, but there's a few anyway.

Randall