RE: TR3 - Wentworth

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 - Wentworth
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:33:17 -0700
> Actually, the width across flats of a 1/4" BSW or BSF bolt is .438 to .445
> inches.  A 7/16" wrench has an opening of .440 to .446 inches.  This is
> according to my "Machinery's Handbook".  So, a 7/16" wrench will fit a 1/4
> BSW or BSF bolt.

All I can say is my experience is that they won't fit, perhaps I have the
.440" wrenches and .445" bolts (which is for 1/4" BSF but 3/16" BSW).

> Frankly, I am not sure whether the bolts on the fenders
> are BSF or UNF.

I'm fairly certain they are 1/4" UNF, with 7/16" heads.

> In an earlier note, that evidently got lost in the aether, I said that the
> wrench probably is not slipping on the head.  What is more likely
> happening
> is the cage nut on the other end of the bolt is turning inside
> the cage.  If
> you cannot see the bolt and are doing this by "feel", it would
> feel like the
> wrench/socket is slipping.  I found that removing the headlamp
> bucket helped
> a lot because I could then see the bolt heads holding the fender to the
> front apron.  I have had to resort to grinding off the heads, however, in
> most cases, because the cage nut was turning and I had no way to
> grab it.

I quite agree with this, however I was able to get a fair number of them
loose by using "needle nose" vise grips through the headlamp opening, to
grab the cage and clamp it onto the nut.  Penetrating oil may help too, on
the ones where you haven't already spun the captive nuts in their cages.  I
recommend PB Blaster (available at Wal-Mart and fine discount stores
nationwide).  Put it on and let it soak overnight (or longer).  Working the
bolt back and forth may help too.

Randall