re: dum-dum

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: dum-dum
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:08:02 EDT
Thanks all, for the tips on 'dum-dum' (sound deadner on front of timing chain
cover)
here are some of the responses:
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
---------
The original stuff was a gray fiberous stuff, probably epoxy based.  I

wouldn't use Bondo since that polyesther might not like the temperature.  It

might work, but then again, it might not.  If you do go this route use the

filler that has the metal particles in it to get the color right.  The last

time I made a sound deadener I used an gray epoxy that took a while to set

up (the high strength ones).  I mixed up a bunch of the stuff and

"slathered" it on the front of the cover.  Looked good and wasn't about to

come off!

Cheers,

Bruce
-------
Brushed on asphault undercoating.  Spray on will work but requires several
tack coats. Regards, Joe - FirstTR2
-----
To replace the stuff on the Herald engine timing cover, I just cut a piece

of the "Dynamat" insulation and stuck it on! I figured it was noise

dampening, so what the heck. Works well, looks fine, takes paint(once you

peel off the clear plastic top coating.)

Scott
----
Hadn't really thought of it. There's so much plastic and aluminum castings
and body insulation used today that sound
deadening material for the engine sounds almost archaic, doesn't it?
Today, I'd use something like Sikaflex, which sticks to metal very well, and
takes paint quite well. It's very flexible,
so there wouldn't be a problem with it de-bonding and falling out due to the
combination of high-frequency vibration and
heat cycling (as I suspect bondo might). We used the stuff a lot (and a lot
of it). I just don't know if what we used
had a temperature rating suitable for engine use. But, maybe you can write
and ask if they have something which can be
used in that environment:
Sika Corp.
201 Polito Avenue
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
http://www.sikacorp.com
Cheers, Michael D. Porter
-------
Sounds like an interesting dilemna.  Sika-damp 630 may help with what you
need.  Its outside temperature is about what the high temp on the engine
should be.  The product is a 3mm thick elastomeric sheet with a foil liner
on the top.  The elastomer absorbs the sound and bounces it off the liner
back into the elastomer where more of the sound is absorbed.
I can't say for sure if it will work for you.  But it's worth trying.  You
can purchase it from a company iin Florida called Novicon.  813-854-3235.
Regards,
Steve Padgett
Sika Corp.
ps, let me know if it works out.