RE: TR6 Front Hub spec.

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Front Hub spec.
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:50:09 -0400
Cc: "'6 List'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Don,
There was a thread on this subject some time ago and the consensus, best
I remember was that the replacement felt oil seals are too thick, so the
hub has too much end play. A result of this is that the brake pads are
pushed back off the rotor, causing the all to familiar "pedal goes
almost to the floor" feel when the brakes are first applied.

The new seals look just like the timing chain cover seal, only smaller
of course.
The part # I received from some kind fellow lister who's name I have
forgotten is CarQuest #SLS 340823. They were about $2.50 each as best I
recall and work great. They are a Federal Mogul part so if you have no
CarQuest store near you another store may be able to cross reference for
you.

I think I used a bearing driver when I installed the races in the hub
some years ago, but I also use a brass drift for that kind of job. A
pipe of suitable diameter would work I suppose.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

What are "modern" front oil seals, how are they different from the
originals, and what advantages do they offer?

I just bought a bearing kit and the oils seals seem to look like the
originals on the car.

Anyone,

Do you folks use wheel bearing drivers to install the wheel bearing
races? The drivers are kind'a hard to find, so I bought these on eBay.
Maybe they are junk? JCWhitney sells what appears to be the same thing
for $10.00 more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2342326112&category=1
1704&rd=1

I was advised the drivers are helpful but maybe not required. A customer
in the parts store said he used a piece of pipe to do it. Bentley
doesn't say much about R/R the wheel bearing races. Never did this
before...

Don Malling