Re: Installing Elec Fan Pro-Con

To: rroberts47@cfl.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing Elec Fan Pro-Con
From: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:34:31 EDT
In a message dated 09/19/2003 8:26:31 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
rroberts47@cfl.rr.com writes:

>  would like some feedback on those of you who have installed an electric
> fan
> in the LBC.
>
> I am thinking of installing one with auto thermostat.
>
> Appreciate any feed back

Hi Bob,

This past winter, I installed a Hayden 12" electric fan I purchased from Moss
after repairing a few leaks in my stock radiator (and keeping the handcrank
hole) on my '61 TR3A.  I kept the four-bladed fan and hub in place and mounted
the electric fan on the front of the radiator just above the crank hole.  The
12" fan was a tight fit to mount, but it went on solid.  A 10" fan would fit
more easily, though it might cool a tad less.  Although I installed the
thermostat that came with the fan (a metal probe that is inserted between the
fins of
the radiator) it turned out to be as ineffective as it looked.  I also
installed a manual lucas switch that fits neatly on the underside of the
driver's-side heater support bracket under the dash--out of sight and easy to
flip on.
This past summer in Indiana I only turned on the fan during stop and go traffic
on days that climbed beyond the upper 80s.  Each time, the electric fan
brought the temperature down to the normal running range in short order.  Once
start back up to speed, I flick off the electric fan.  The thermostat control
for the fan is not missed a bit as I tend to watch the temperature guage under
conditions that might lead to overheating.  I have a shrouded thermostat
installed on the water cooling system, but nothing else fancy has been done.  I
couldn't be more pleased--the electric fan is out of sight and I love having
the
radiator hole for jogging or starting the engine with the handcrank.  Highly
recommended.

Bill Stagg
1961 TR3A