Re: Installing Elec Fan Pro-Con

To: "Robert Roberts" <rroberts47@cfl.rr.com>, "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Installing Elec Fan Pro-Con
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:24:19 -0700
> I would like some feedback on those of you who have installed an electric
fan
> in the LBC.
>
> I am thinking of installing one with auto thermostat.
>
> Appreciate any feed back
>
> Bob Roberts
> TR$$$$
> 35411CT

Bob,
I added an electric fan, a pusher in front of the radiator leaving the
original in place. I did this after blocking the bypass, adding the shroud,
putting in an overflow system, adding water wetter,  getting the radiator
serviced and still having overheating problems both at idle and at speeds
greater than 4000 RPM.  My approach was a bit unorthocox as I installed a
rather large used Mercedes fan I got at a flea market for $5.00. I forget
how big it is, but it is a tad wider than the radiator. Now if it overheats,
I turn the motor off and let the fan pull the car along :-). Ok, seriously,
it does work well. I have a 180 thermostat so I turn the fan on if it goes
up about half way to the next mark, whatever that is and off again when it
goes down to 180 again.

The downside is it does draw a lot of power and keeps the AMP meter pretty
far north when it's on. But the best part, which makes it very well
worthwhile, is the reduction in my blood pressure at very long traffic
lights  and in tail backs.

I did not put a thermostat on it, I use a manual switch - I might try a
thermostat one day.

Bob